The historic buildings of Chojnów.
The objects preserved in different condition are the evidence oft he history of Chojnów. The Parish Church under the invocation oft he Immaculate Conception (Dąbrowskiego Street), was built in 1909 – 1911, designed by Fredrich Oskar Hossfeld – Berlin an architect – in neoromantic style basilica with transept, short presbytery, comleted by semicircular absyda (from the west side) and enormous two – tower east facade. Altars, pulpit and baptismal were completed according tot he design of Hugo Burger from Berlin. The wall and ceiling paintings plus stained glass windows, were made by two brotheres Otton and Rudolth Linneman from Frankfurt (on Main), 25 voice organs are work of art, made by brothers Spath from Senntach – Mengen in Wittengerg. Outside the church there is a barowue sculpture of St John Nepomucen.
The Parish Church under the invocation of St Peter and Paul (Market Street), raised in 1390 – 1468 years. In 1400 one oft he altars was funded. In 1405 the bell was cast. In 1413 works on the Hussite invasion intterrupted them. The church is a three – aisled, oriented basilica raised on of a Latin cross, built of brick. On the north side there is a porch that was built at the same time as the church, which was rebuilt in the middle of 16th century and the sacristy covered by a cross-ribbed dome. About 1468 to the south aisle oft he Clothier's chapel, under the invocation of St Andrew and Catherine, was built to complete the building.
About 1543 the chapel of Bożywojowie line originated. It was built between the sacristy and the porch and was covered by three – shored dome with ribs. In the chapel remained monumental, early – Renaissance tombstone of ist founder Wolf Bożywoj (1551). In the south aisle there is a crypt of duchess Anna Wirtemberska. The Baroque baptismal font and tinned baptismal bowl come from 1660. After 1670 in the presbytery there was placed and architectonic high altar, renovated in 2006.
The painting in the altar „The Lord's Resurrection", painted by George Ostermayer from Augsburg. It was given as a present in 1678 by Adam Vogel, who was a merchant from Augsburg and was born in Chojnów. In the presbytery there are two baroque paintings: ‚The Lashing of Christ‘ and ‚The Last Supper‘ from 17 th century from Brzeżan. In the side aisle there are two brilliant late – Baroque sculptures placed by Lvov school. In the north side asile there is a late – Gothic triptych with Madonna surrounded by holy virgins. Inside the church and on ist external walls there are about 90 epitaphs which are embedded cycled of Renaissance, Baroque, mannerism, classicism among other things there are epitaphs of pastors among them.
The Castle of legnicko – brzescy Piasts (3 Castle Sq.) The castle was built in the second half of 13 th ceuntry under Henryk V. In 13th and 14 th ceuntry the castle was the seat oft he castellany. In the beginning of 15 th ceuntry it was the residence of prince Henryk X, the ruler oft he small principality. In 1428 the castle was destroyed by the Hussites. In 1546 – 47 it was rebuilt in Renaissance style for prince Fryderyk III by the north – Italian architect Franciszek Paar. From the days of ist reconstruction comes the portal with the busts of prince Fryderyk III and his wife, one oft he most autstanding works of Silesian Renaissance.
On the portal and window frames there are some visible signs of stone-masons. In 1594 – 1616 the castle belonged to duchess Anna Wirtemberska. In 1708 – 1764 in one of ist wings there was the chapel under the invocation of Blessed Virgin Mary. After the fire in 1767 the most oft he castle was demolished and some accompanied buildings as well. Thhe north-west wing was the only part left and it was reduced by one storey. In 1813 there was a field hospital for French soldiers in the castle. In 1831 the castle was repurchased by the town. It was the seat oft he catholic school, the town authorities and the court. In 1933 it was delivered tot he museum which was reactivated 1959.
The Tower oft he Weavers (Weaver St. ) The Gothic Tower oft he Weavers was raised in 15 th century. Fort he first time mentioned in 1572, it defended the north curtain oft he town defensive walls. Ist name probably owes itself tot he weavers who lived numeroulsy in this part oft he town and they were obligated to occupy the tower in the moment oft he threat. It was raised on the plan oft he square made of brick. In 16 th century it was surmounted by the Renaissance attic. The tower was destroyed durnig the fire oft he town in 1651 and rebuilt about 1692. It was renovation. During the works ruinous, octagon additional storey was replaced by the ne wage. The interor oft he tower was divided by roofs and the staircase was built. After the renovation it was designated as a museum, which was opened in 1908. The tower is 15 meters in height up tot he attic. On ist eastern elevation there are visible outlines of defensive wall, height 5.5 m, volume 1.9m with the porch and the breastwork and the primary entrance were situated tot he level oft he window and the storey.
Schrams's House (Market Sq.) The building in Renaissance style was raised in 1544 by Hans Schram, it was rebuilt in 18 th and 19th centuries. It was restored about 1933 and renovated in 1959-1960 and 1976-1977. The front elevation survived richly carved in stone, the Renaissance closed portal; the workof the so – called Chojnów workshop, which is also claimed to have rebuit the castle. The building was renovated in 2011 at the cost of 3.571,071 pln including EU donation of 2.101.140 pln.
Municipal Sport and Recreation Community Centre
One oft he biggest municipal investments carried out as a part oft he Regional Operational Programme fort he Lower Silesian Voivodeship 2007 – 2013, under the name of „Redevelopment oft he Municipal Sport and Recreation Community Centre's building in Chojnów, Małachowskiego 7 street. Project co-funded with EU. Total value oft he investment: 7.939.688,56 pln, ROP subsidy: 6.636.679,95 pln (84,99%).
Chojnów gives tot he interested excellent conditions of rest and recreation. Two monumental parks encourage people to walk, to rest among nature, offer entertainment for children in safe playgroundds. Modern football fields with lighting and artificial surface let you rest actively. The local stadium offers different sporting events for people of all fitness levels, also for female teams. Unqueestionable attraction is also a swimming pool with Finnish and steam saunas, a swift – flowing river and geysers. Tennis court, gym under the sky and numerous playgrounds and finishing sites complete the offer.
Calendar of town events is created by self – government units, non – governmental organizations and education institutions. They are directed to children, youth, adults, dance lovers, singing fans, classicalmusic, popular music, art, sport games competitiors and supporters of many disciplines. The biggest town event is Chojnów Days, which is held in the beginning of June. These days include the most significant annual Festival of Weaving and Artistic Handicraft. At Regional Museum a lot of varnishing – days, lectures and concerts take place.
The Education Centre realizes attractive UE projects, organizes
exhibitions, literary and musical meetings. Culture Sport and a Recreation Town Centre, which is full of vitality, offers a range of different sections and various sorts of cultural entertainment. The most popular ist he Polish Dance Contest ‚Stonoga‘, Lower Silesian Cabaret Contest, ‚Pekaesy‘, Lower Silesian Fairytales and Legends Contest ‚Silebia‘, Regional Nursery School Children Song Contest ‚Bambiniada‘. The town has a rich cultural life, which is completed by casual meetings organized by active societies and associations and also social enterprises oft he very residents. The Centre facilitates a fitness room, 3 D cinema and a bowling alley.